Thursday, May 29, 2008

Imitator

To be an imitator of Christ. . .. .

just kidding. im not getting all spiritual just yet.

I am an imitator.
I am not a very creative or imaginative person.
But I do have a gift of being able to look at other people's art, music, books, writings, thoughts, etc. and go somewheres else with it; learn from it; grow; go deeper, etc.

So I will go forward in true Juliette fashion.
Everyone seems to start their blog with a similar set of things:

I finally caved and got a blog.
I'm not very good at this blog thing.
Don't expect much from this.
No one is going to read this.
I'm not very clever or funny.
you know the drill.

so isn't that what i'm supposed to say?
whatever, i wrote it. there.

I do have reservations about actually blogging myself. Come on, i am a christian sociology major--blogging implies much about the state of our society right now--and its mostly not good.

But I broke for a few reasons:
1) I know only my good friends will read this so i'm not pushing the brokenness of communication (that we're experiencing more and more) too far

2) I find myself thinking out a sort of blog-like thought/rant often times. Most of the things that I actually take time to write/journal are not meant for just me or God. (if they are for me, then i'll just keep them with me in my mind and if they're for God, I do nothing but think and be and he takes it all in) They are meant for others. And most of the things that I take time to write are my "heavy" thoughts (meaning they weigh heavy on my heart) and they are things that I want to scream to all of the world. So this is the closest I could get.

3) It is summer. I find that people have more time to read blogs over the summer so maybe I can assist people in their boredom with some material to read. Also, I have more time to think, process, soak in, and spit out more "heavy" thoughts during the summer. And this will be my most restful, "stop and soak it all in" summer EVER to date--> so I'm hoping this will be part of that process.

One disclaimer:
I am still hesitant to actually start this because, like I said, only my good friends will read it, which seems silly for me to even do this because why can't I just share these thoughts with them in person or even in email where its cordial for them to reply with their thoughts??? Isn't that the whole point--> a response. T'is communication. Basically, I do not except acquaintances or people I don't really know to respond to this (i would LOVE for every single person to respond, but we are part of this generation that gets to know people with out giving ourselves, so I'm just being realistic), but i DO expect people who know me fairly well to communicate with me over these thoughts. Not because I want to talk about my stuff-- quite the opposite--i want to talk about your stuff and your thoughts that come from my stuff that came from someone else. It will kill me to know that someone read this, had thoughts to share, but simply pushed them away and moved on-- cause if we would have discussed it in person, i would not have let you move on! You know I want you're thoughts and your communication!

That's what we're all about. Being. Together.

1 comment:

WadeHeart said...

If anything, this can at least be a good 'window into your past' for your progeny. No matter how jaded the current reigning generation becomes, nostalgia (and hopefully basic communal instinct) and curiosity will always have some role to play in the normal development of the human mind.
Blogging is also a good record for those who aren't bold enough to search out musty diaries in attics, or play '20 Questions' during each conversation.
Besides, you'll need these pages more than most in the end. You've put a great deal of idealism and principle into these posts. Should anything endanger your soul along life's winding path, and memory is clouded by present circumstance, these will be here to remind you of who you are deep down, and how you came to be where you are. I can't say that that ensures a happy ending for all, but the surest mire any of us can fall into is ourselves, and any tool than can be used to get out of that should be used.
Drew Kelly gave me this address, so thank him for taking the time to get the word out. And good luck. You never know who's reading what these days...