Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Do we need a savior?



“I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.” Galatians 1:6-7

Who needs a Creator when we can sculpt the mountains?

Who needs a Great Physician when we can heal ourselves?

Who needs Providence for food when we can clone animals for food?

Who needs a Savior when we have a four hundred billion dollar defense shield?

Who needs a Deliverer when the empire has become a democracy?

Who needs a God when we are worthy of worship ourselves?

“For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man.” Romans 1:21-23

This is an exert from the book Jesus for President. Do with it what you will.

For me, it makes me question if I am truly depending on my God. (answer: no, not completely at all)

It makes me understand why it is so hard for true Christianity to take root here in America.

It makes me think that we really don’t know what is means to follow the God of creation and the Jesus who told us to claim a different empire/president/economy/culture and to not do what the world does.


(usual disclaimer: I’m not saying mt rushmore, medicine, science, or democracy are bad things. There is beauty within them all. I’m just proving a point…actually, I’m sharing a point that someone else made.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that in part four? Cause I don't remember that part... then again, it very well may be in the previous sections and I just breezed over it... I just started part four by the way...

Restless... said...

i just read that last night!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! mmm and i love that i can read all of your thoughts =)

SaraEaker said...

I am personally offended that you used such a statue of national treasure in this post...

haha not really! I just wanted to act like a mad crazy person...I liked your disclaimer! Oh we love America, our medicine, and our science so much! It is funny!

Good thought provoking post! I am going to chew on it as I drift off to sleep!