Friday, June 13, 2008

'Locavorism'= Kingdom building




Read this PLEASE:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24994028/

I never read much news, but this article popped up at me at work and who is going to pass up the oppurtunity to read a good article instead of doing a mindless job???

The topics discussed in this article represent just another part of this journey our King is taking me on. This stuff has really been on my heart and I'm trying to take baby-steps to living it out....but I can get frustrated sometimes cause I wish I had more encouragement from people around me in ways to change my lifestyle and live this out.

And this article just touches on some things--its not the whole picture at all of food, creation, globalization, local growing, processed food, consumerism, being more in tune with another part of who we are--the earth.

We are so much apart of the "empire"/ "kingdom" of America that is in stark contrast to the ways of His Kingdom on earth and one of those ways is the way we consume in general, and particularly, food. This article does not paint it in a easy or idealistic way either. They admit that it is very hard because of the lifestyle we are used to. And I admit that it is very hard and sometimes it seems impossible to get to the place I would like to be in this context.

But I still believe that we are missing a part of the abundant life/Kingdom that God intends for us by consuming the way our empire tells us to (which we are mainly unaware of altogether) and being so extrememly seperated physically and spiritually from the food we put into our bodies which are "temples," so says Jesus.

And I want more of that abundant life that He offers. And I want less of what American society tells me easy and helpful and civilized and full. Because I don't believe that anymore.

3 comments:

blaire blanchette said...

i want to start a garden at some point.

does this exclude the consumption of ice cream since you can't grow that?

...we might have a problem with that one...

Anonymous said...

You need to be friends with the Supercinski's. I'm serious. Invite yourself over to their house or something. I love them, and you'd love them.

shannon said...

blaire, all you have to do is raise cows alongside of those vegetables!

juliette, i sent you some gardening links. check them out and let me know what you think. i wish i could teach you some things in person - but i suppose that will have to wait.