Saturday, September 27, 2008

When the saints

Go here and click the play button on the right and listen to this song.

Pay particular attention towards the end of the song.

Just does something to me.



Lord I have a heavy burden of all I've seen and know
It's more than I can handle
But your word is burning like a fire shut up in my bones
and I cannot let it go

And when I'm weary and overwrought
with so many battles left unfought

I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

Lord it's all that I can't carry and cannot leave behind
it often overwhelms me
but when I think of all who've gone before and lived the faithful life
their courage compells me
And when I'm weary and overwrought
with so many battles left unfought

I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars

I see the shepherd Moses in the Pharohs court
I hear his call for freedom for the people of the Lord

I see the long quiet walk along the Underground Railroad
I see the slave awakening to the value of her soul

I see the young missionary and the angry spear
I see his family returning with no trace of fear

I see the long hard shadows of Calcutta nights
I see the sisters standing by the dying man's side

I see the young girl huddled on the brothel floor
I see the man with a passion come and kicking down the door

I see the man of sorrows and his long troubled road
I see the world on his shoulders and my easy load

And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them





We are not alone.

Many have gone before us and done incredible, impossible, inconceivable things to bring hope, justice, and love to a VERY injustice, hopeless, and self-defeating world.


Do not think its impossible for a second.
Well actually, go ahead and think its impossible, because it is.

But then remember that we were sent into a extremely messed up world for the purpose of doing the impossible.
And its not like we don't have examples to prove to us the possibility of doing the impossible with a mighty God.
I'm almost positive that if I lived in the 1820's, I would have thought that it would be impossible to end slavery. I truly would have thought that.
Thank God some people did not think it was impossible. OR thank God some people knew it was impossible, but believed in and followed a God of impossibilities.

If I was Elizabeth Elliot and her friends, I'm pretty sure I would have thought it would be impossible for the Waodoni people to live in peace and know Jesus, AND THAT I would be one of the people to share that with them AFTER they murdered my husband.
Good thing God empowered her.

Living right now today, I believe it's almost impossible to free the girls in the brothels in India right now, but good thing Kate Brushnell did not believe it was impossible for God to free the girls that were being forced into prostitution during slavery in America.
And good thing there are men and women at International Justice Mission right now, today, freeing those girls from the brothels, because they are following a God of impossibilities.


I want to be one of them.

1 comment:

emily said...

i hope to be one of them.

i listened to that song this morning along with a new friend and we basked in the knowledge of the extreme depravity, injustice, and oppression we see all around us.

and then i prayed for courage.

for the courage to even begin to believe that evil can be defeated (because it IS being defeated)

for the courage to believe that God could use me.

i love you and can't wait to see you in oh i don't know about 120 hrs...i mean but who's counting?