Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lemonade


I've been attempting to "make lemonade" recently.

It's really quite strange how that cliche line has been playing through my head so frequently these days.

I found myself telling people, or telling myself, "Oh you know, just trying to make lemonade out of the lemons."

Foolish. Silly. Cliche. Lame.

That's what I think after I say that, whether audibly or inaudibly.

Nonetheless, it is true.
I am making lemonade.

Some days it is sweeter than others.
Some days its plain sour as heck.
Some days it has that perfect taste of sweetness with a touch of sour at the end that leaves no doubt that this lemonade was made from fresh, REAL lemons.

And is there a better kind of lemonade than the one made with fresh, real lemons?

I think not.

If there is one thing I have learned in my short existence on this earth, it's that we can always, always make lemonade out of lemons.

In fact, there is nothing else we can do with those lemons except make lemonade.

Well, there is the option of squeezing it on your salmon, brocoli, salad dressing, or a plethora of other delicious uses for lemons in cooking that simply makes your food 100 times more incredible.

Point is: lemons by themselves--not so good. Lemons mixed with other things--DELICIOUS.

Sometimes, you get really hard lemons.
They are incredibly difficult to squeeze.
It takes two hands.
It takes rolling it around on the counter for a while.
It takes a lot of work.

But does that dismiss the fact that lemonade is still possible?

I think not.

Sometimes--ok, many times-- I don't want to make lemonade.
Many times, I just want to suck on the lemon itself.
Screw lemonade.
Forget the sugar.
Give me the frickin lemon and watch me make faces.
I don't want sweet.
I'm mad and I just want a lemon!

Sometimes that's okay.

But after a couple of days, your mouth can only take so much and you just need to bite the bullet and make some frickin lemonade.

And you enjoy it.
And you savor it.
And it is splendid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Juliette! My daughter Dana turned me on to your Blog. I adore your thoughts on making lemonade!!! I hope you don't mind me quoting you because I'm passing this on!!!!
Jan

emily said...

I love this...

keep making lemonade sister :)