Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stones of Remembrance


I am thankful for a heart that remembers.

I am thankful for the truths the Lord has etched upon my heart.

You do not know what you truly believe until you test it through the flame.

As I walk through another valley with my eyes melted closed, wobbling and shaking, how peaceful and merciful it is to reach out and feel the sensation of my hands upon a rock, grasping a staff, clutching pillars.

A sigh of relief ensues.

I hang for dear life.

Ah, I need not take on step further unless clasping these pillars!

The eyes of my emotions and flesh may feel sewed shut, full of darkness and unknown, but the hands of my spirit grasp onto the rocks of the foundation my faithful Father has laid all around me through 24 years.

I know not where I am stepping.
I know not why I ended up on this path, nor what happened to the well-lit, comforting one I was one. (How did it just disappear right out from under me and then I landed on this one?)
I know not where this path leads.

But as I wobble along,
with eyes locked shut,
I can trust.

For I have the rocks, the pillars to cling to.
The rocks and pillars of remembrance.

Just as the Jewish fathers and mothers before us set up as God commanded.
What a sweet, necessary command of the Lord.

Etched into my own stones are words like:
"Remember: He took you through the black hole in your soul 3 years ago."
"Remember: He took you through deep death and loss."
"Remember: He took you through a tremendously broken heart."
"Remember: He took you through a foreign country completely alone."
"Remember: He took you through lost and scattered dreams, plans, and hopes."
"Remember: He is faithful. Every time, He is faithful."
"Remember: He takes ashes and turns them into something beautiful. All. The. Time."

And though my eyes can not read the stones, my spirit feels the words of Remembrance down into my heart.

And I wobble along.

Holding tight to the pillars that continue all the way down the path. . . .





These two posts are Pillars of Remembrance that I can look at and hold fast to:
A Hope and A Good Future
A River of Blessing

No comments: