Tuesday, August 4, 2009

There is no me without you




"There Is No Me Without You" by Melissa Fay Greene


Please purchase this book and read it.

A couple of reasons why you should read it:
1. Anyone who wants to know more of my heart of why I am going spend the next 6 months in Uganda

2. It is a true story but presented in a wonderful fiction-story form and those are always the BEST books

3. It is very educational. It will open your eyes immensely.

It is about a middle-class Ethiopian woman who is normal like the rest of us. She loses some big things in her life, her life completely changes, and finds herself taking care of tons of orphans who just keep showing up at her house.


For those of you planning to go to Africa anytime soon, this is a must read:


"African Friends and Money Matters" by David Maranz

My friend who spent 9 month in Malawi suggested it to me and it is proving to be just as insightful for me as it was for him. Very, very practical anthropological descriptions on the cultural differences between Africans and Westerns. It is definitely more about African "friends" than the "money matters." Slightly boring at times, but SOO helpful. I am so grateful that I'm getting to read this book before I leave.

No comments: