Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Uganda, here I come!



I am leaving to go to Uganda for 6 months on September 1st.

I am working with Africa Renewal Ministries' orphanage called Bethany's Village right on Lake Victoria (one of the most beautiful wonders of the world.) The I will be next to is called Gaba. You can check out ARM's website with the link on the left of this page. But here are some pictures and such of Bethany's Village, where I'll be living.

I will start off living with the Director's family. Uncle Willy and Auntie Milly. =) And their 3 beautiful children. I may move into one of the children homes which is what I'm hoping for, but we shall see. The homes are arranged by having 15 children (of various ages) in each home with a house mom. You see why I want to move into a home?? How do these house moms do it? I've had the privledge of helping out mothers of 3 children in America--I can't imagine 15!

Bethany's Village is completely staffed by Ugandans. I will probably be the only white/Western person there. I am very excited about that. The Lord has simply given me a strong love for Africans. It is one of those things you just can't explain. I do not glamorize them or pretend they are perfect. (My concerns will come on a different post.) I just simply love the way they talk, laugh, smile, joke, tell stories, the stories they have, and the strong character I continue to find within them. But I'm sure through out the next 6 months I will be able to observe many things about the Ugandan culture that I do not like or do not understand. I have done much research so I feel as though I will be as prepared as you can be without the actual experience.....so I don't know how much that really counts for. =)

I also plan to spend about a month at The Aids Orphan Rescue Program.
Hopefully with the education part or Vocational Training for Youth and Widows.

I have a connection with a Ugandan guy named Phillip who will hopefully be able to take me to at least one other ministry called Family Empowerment Uganda and possible more!

My hopes for the trip are rather simple:
--To support and empower the native workers and leaders at these different ministries
--To follow the calling the Lord has given me and be blown away by his faithfulness
--To learn how to interact with and love orphans and people of another culture
--To be pushed out of my comfort zone and to learn new skills that can be used to serve others
--To know my Father more deeply by experiencing him through the culture and eyes of Ugandans (Oh if we could all experience the Lord through the lenses of all the different cultures of the world....perhaps that is what heaven will be like?!)

I strongly believe our loving Daddy created us to live our lives in community so I have spent much time in prayer about what community will look like for this trip. Here are a few ways I see:
--I will be connected in Spirit with my home community in College Station who will be sending me off. I truly hope this leads to a partnership with my home community--through adoption or many other different possibilities!
--I am praying for other friends to join me in my time there. Please come! I'm not giving up hope that someone will come visit!
--I hope that my friends and family will take part of supporting me in this trip by contributing financially. I have learned that whatever we are connected to monetarily, if even in very small amounts, we are connected in Spirit and Heart as well—and I truly want to be connected as much as possible!
Thus far my community has lived up to these expectations!

I made $1760 at a garage sale last week due to many people donating TONS of items and SO much help from everyone in putting it all together! And the money just keeps coming in!




1 comment:

emily said...

yay! juliette back in blog action :)

incredibly proud of you
increasingly in awe of our Daddy's love and faithfulness in your life
~em