Thursday, October 8, 2009

Home Alone--Party!



Mama Jane had to go into town 2 weekends ago to do some things for her older children.

So, me and the 12 children were home alone! Whoo!

Of course this doesn’t really mean much as everything runs about the same whether there is an adult present or not.

Except for the fact that the children felt compelled to have a birthday party.

But who to have a birthday party for?
For we do not know anyone’s birthday!

The stuffed animal of course!

Sharif (the boy who is a little feminine and a very good home-maker) was the host and coordinator. He came outside earlier in the evening and said, “Auntie Juliette, we are going to have a birthday party tonight! We will sing, we will eat, we will drink! I am going to start preparing!”

And prepare he did.
He cut up some (non ripe) mangoes beautifully (which they eat all the time).
They put “jolly jus” on the mango as well as in some water (Jolly jus is like kool-aid, but they eat it plain).
They brought out all of their little toys and special prizes and pictures and set them up on the table.

I had been wondering what I could do with the balloons, stickers, and candy I had brought and was just waiting for a good occasion. The occasion arose!

So I gave them some balloons to blow up and stickers to decorate.

Then one of them brought me a note “inviting me to the party.”

Precious.

So after devotional, we sat around in a circle, ate mango, drank jus, and of course, Sharif prayed and told us a story from the bible, because you cannot have a party without the Word! =)

Then they did some traditional dancing for me.

Then I played some music on my computer.

Then I gave them each a piece of candy!

What a fun party!

3 comments:

drops of grace said...

This is so fun! I love how kids are kids no matter where they are - Mom is away, let's party. =) I am glad you had all the trimmings to make this party a success however I have a feeling that Sharif would have made it wonderful no matter what... Thanks so much for sharing your heart and the kids with us.
Peace,
Diane

imalooney said...

Hooray for a party! And I do hope you are picking up those traditional dance moves to bring back to us- Lord knows I need some new ones!

Cheli Robicheaux said...

I love this story, makes me smils.