Saturday, September 26, 2009

part of the family


I think I’ve already talked about it but we do devotionals every night where we sing, dance, pray, and read the Bible. During prayer time we have set time where we pray these general topics:
Praising God
Pray for the children and House sponsors
Pray for their futures
Pray for their specific prayer requests that each one has for the house as a whole
Spiritual Warfare
And a couple more I forget

Well after about a week, Mama Jane asked if I would pray for specific things for the house as a whole. She asked the children what things I could pray for daily. (One prays for the visions for their future, one for wisdom for them all, one for chickens, one for water, one for those that have trouble wetting the bed, one for bad behavior, etc) My daily prayers now consist of praying for

--a water tank so they can collect rain water and always have water. As of now they only get water on certain days and just hope it lasts..or they borrow some from next door. Im really not exactly sure how the water works here but its complicated and this water tank would make it MUCH easier for them
--something for the kitchen that im not exactly sure about but God understands! Something about having a real stove and a chimney. Right now it gets SO smoky in there and it is literally like a furnace.
--ceilings. As I think I have mentioned, there is just a tin roof, no ceilings. So you can hear everything no matter what room you are in. And apparently Mama says you can smell the urine very strongly when one of the kids wets the bed….havent experienced that yet
--for their futures. I pray for their aspirations like becoming a pilot and doctor, etc.

(please feel free in joining with me in praying for these things for them!)

THEN last Thursday (the day we fast and pray), Mama asked me if I would “bring the Word of the Lord.” Haha So of course I brought Jeremiah 29:11 and talked about how God has a beautiful future for all of them and how he loves them SO much. =)

Every now and then she asks me to pray during devotionals and they pray for me when I travel or anything.

Oh and I am in charge of reminding one of them to take their ARV medicine twice a day! This is for AIDS so it’s very important! Got my alarm set for 7:00 and 7:00!

I love every little effort they make to include me!

Also, by the second week, Mama Jane had figured out how to cook for me—lots of flavor! She started to make me lots of irish potatoes, used more spices and veggies in the things she cooked, made rice and gravy (Ugandan style)—mmmmm its been much better! I think she was hurt/sad that I wasn’t finishing all of my food (though I really was eating more than a normal American size meal) so she was doing all she could to get me to eat more . . .well I think she found the way. I had made a couple of pasta meals with spices, onions, and zucchini for myself and one day, I gave her some. I think after that she realized what I enjoy. She also brought home a bunch of “sweet” bananas, which are our normal bananas cause I had mentioned that I loved them. So I’ve been getting some good fruit too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i am sooo happy that your getting along with mama jane and all the kids. it sounds like you are just what they needed ju-ju

<3 natalie

imalooney said...

awesome about the food changes - a little cajun flava in uganda, maybe? that mama jane sounds like a real sweet woman.