Sunday, September 20, 2009

Some Observations on Children

Oh how beautiful each one of them is inside and out! Now I know most of you are thinking, “Duh, of course she is going to say that.” Well I can tell you that I really wasn’t expecting to fall in love with every single one of them in my house. And I wasn’t expecting that every single one of them would be so beautiful. . . So I meant what I say!

It is funny, they do not smile a ton. This is true of all of the Ugandans I’ve encountered. (In fact, most all other cultures do not smile as much as Americans, which is why many think we are so fake.) Anyways, as I’ve mentioned before, the children don’t smile at first when they look at me but I simply can not help BUT smile—and then automatically as soon as I smile, a HUGE, beautiful, yet shy smile BURST across their faces. . . and my heart jumps. I just love it. Every time. And they act like they don’t expect me to smile. Maybe they will learn.. .. .

At least one pair of eyes is always, always on me. If I don’t see it (which I usually do), I can feel it. EVERYWHERE I go. I pretty much hate it, but at least I was prepared for it.

I do not know how these children get such little sleep. Even little Olga (she’s 2). . .These kids get up at 5:30 or 6:30, take no naps, don’t eat till 9:30 or 10:30 and THEN go to sleep. There is always at least one falling asleep during Bible time. It is crazy to me. It kills me to see the 4 and 5 year old falling asleep at the table, being forced to wake up. And my hypothesis of why they all walk around while praying is as a measure to stay awake! Haha

These children do have to endure some hard things, but one thing is for sure: they are being taught to be disciplined, respectful, humble children who know what is most important in life: seeking Jesus with our brothers and sisters. And they are learning this at a very early age. And THAT is a beautiful thing!

On Thursdays, the Alma house (my house) prays and fasts to “seek His face.” Mama said this was the kids idea, not hers, and that made her so proud. (the 2 little ones don’t fast) At breakfast and lunch they pray instead of eating and at 4:00 they break the fast. She said a couple weeks before I came, they all prayed for specific things they needed and the next week everything came!
Ask and you will receive!

For Jesus does say, “Which one of you, if his son asks him for a bread will give him a stone?? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask!!!”

These children’s passion to learn is another incredible thing I am witnessing. They have been on break from school for about 6 weeks and they are so ready to go back. I asked them if they prefer holiday or school better, expecting to get the typical American child response of “HOLIDAY!” But instead they all said they prefer school. When I asked them why, they said because during holiday they are bored and during holiday they forget all the things they learned and they want to remember and learn all the time!
They have “holiday work packets” they work on every night—and they love doing it! Unlike many of us who definitely did not enjoy doing homework. . . .

No comments: