Sunday, September 6, 2009

Where to Start, attempt #2 :)

Please forgive me for the sporadic nature of this blog. I don’t know if I’ve ever had so much on my mind to share. I recommend reading this in stages or something. I was going to break it up but I don’t know when I’ll be on the internet next, so here it all is. Read a page a day or something!

The travelling days were great! I had some great conversations with: an elderly man from Pakistan who shared a row with me on the plane, an Australian preacher named Jim from my hotel who went to the mall also (great convo about modern Christianity and learned a lot about Australia), an Muslim guy from NY at the hotel about Islam and Christianity, Mohamed from Somalia/USA/Uganda on the plane ride here (he was so helpful! I learned so much about Africa from him). I met some others but those were the highlights. I am usually really shy in these situations (when I don’t know anyone) but I felt like all of these conversations were from the Lord and very natural. Just some little blessings.
My first taste of Uganda was the wonderful breeze that kissed my face the moment I stepped off the plane. It was glorious. Francis and Michael were there waiting for me. I got to know Michael (the missions coordinator) while Francis went to look for something he lost at the airport. It was a very encouraging first conversation. From the airport, Francis, Michael, and Joshua (our driver) went to Kampala. It was a beautiful drive and I felt like I was with 3 big brothers. All three of them are so nice, very funny, and wonderful body guards. Francis insisted that I get some things to make me more comfortable like a two burner gas stove to put in my room along with a pan, a pot, macaroni, eggs, bread and butter. This is so that I can conveniently make my own few at first while I’m getting used to the food here. Very considerate of him but I felt like it was way too much and unnecessary. I guess we will see if he is right….i don’t foresee myself cooking my own things, ESPECIALLY at first, but we’ll see.
We went to a place just like Wal-mart and a super market, both of which were very nice and I could have forgotten I was in Africa. Except for the 100% black people around me. Which leads me to my next point—why did I forget to dye my skin before I came?? =) Wow, I have never wanted to change the color of my skin as badly as I have on just this half day I was here. People warned me about all the stares and attention I would get, and they were right. And it actually wasn’t even that bad today. Its just that I can FEEL the fact that I’m the only white person for miles. And I know allll of the assumptions that go along with that. And then there’s the blaring fact that I can’t understand anything anyone is saying. Which just screams white American even more. Yuck. I knew the language thing was going to be an issue but you never really know until you experience it. I got my first taste of that today. Got a long road ahead of me!
Travelling evaluation:
Flying with Emirates = excellent! (amazing airline. Gave me free hotel with free meals. Everything was above and beyond with them)
Getting the cheapest flight and having to have a lay-over in Dubai = wonderful! (I felt like this place was the capital of the world. So many different nationalities! The tiny bit I saw was real cool)
Purchasing my backpack = excellent! (its just made things so much easier. I love it!)
Taking 70 pds of luggage on a wheeling suitcase instead of a duffle-bag = life saver! (prizes for heather and mom for telling me to do that. I don’t know what I was thinking!)
Forgetting my computer charger = awful. Cost me $145 in dubai to get a universal one. But at least I got one right!
Forgetting towels = stupid. Not sure exactly what I’m going to do about that. . .
Thinking the flash lights I brought would be for gifts = wrong. They are going to be my best friends.

Oh and after being in the car for 10 minutes we got pulled over! It was for something stupid and Francis talked our driver out of the ticket but I must admit, it was very interesting for me. It really is all about talking! The law is so different here. No bribery though! Just honest discussion!

We didn’t get to Gaba till right when it was getting dark. Francis was real sorry about this, but did I care? No way. It was a market day so the place where we get on the boat was absolutely crazy! I wiiiish I could have gotten pictures of this but it just didn’t work. First we pull into the fish area. I don’t even know how to describe it. First off, there was trash everywhere. And a cow eating out of it. (we were in the car throughout all this, don’t worry, you Worriers). Then there were huge wooden box looken things that were actually stoves to smoke the fish. And I mean huge. And then huge piles of fish skin. You can imagine the smell. And then tons and tons of people selling tons and tons of things. And we’re driving through all of this. It was simply too much to take in on my first day.
But we weren’t finished….

Then we get on the boat to go to Bethany Village. This is pretty much the only realistic way to get to where I’m living which is crazy. And awesome. We unload all my stuff onto this large wooden boat. There are pictures of these on the ARM/Bethany Village website if you’re interested. Some others came along with us. I met the first woman I will hopefully get to know more! Sayhi from Ethiopian. Extremely nice. After waiting a long time for various things, we take our night, 20 minute boat ride to Bethany Village.
Mom, its just like riding out on Lake Travis….except in a wooden boat sitting on a 2 by 4! =)
They were all so worried about me “taking a boat ride during the night,” but I loved it! It felt so nice. I must admit though, I am so glad I do not get sea sick or have a weak stomach. After the day I had, riding on that boat at night, I can imagine some people would have a hard time. Praise God he made me the way he did. It was very nice!
I do admit it is a little unfortunate I got here so late. It just made things a little more awkward for introducing and getting settled. And I was soooo tired. It’ll be fine though.

I met my “family.” Twelve absolutely beautiful children ranging from ages 2-13. My house mom is “Auntie Jane.” She seems very nice but her English is not so well so this will probably be an issue for me. I went next door to Uncle Willy and Aunt Milly’s (the director and nurse) for a late dinner. They have 3 kids that are precious. They were shy at first but definitely warmed up to me more than I was even ready for! (I was exhausted.) We ate a “normal” Ugandan meal of beans, beef in a gravy, rice, fried banana, and potatoes. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. I can definitely handle that!

As for describing my living situation, I don’t really know where to start. I don’t want to paint a bad picture….but I must admit it is going to be quite an adjustment for me. The bed is fine and all, its just that. . .first off this mosquito net is a curse and blessing. It makes me feel very protected from the bugs all around. But I think I might be allergic to it or something cause my eyes are freaking out! On fire! Could be something else though.
Well lets just say, I went to bed at 11 and it is 2:30 right now. Why can’t I sleep? Could be the knowledge that there are little bugs all around. (not big scary ones , but annoying little ones that still give you the hibby jibbies) It definitely has to do with the noises: the crickets, the ghekos, the mice(????), the kids making noises like animals, talking in their sleep, snoring, and just moving I guess, random noises that I have no idea how to identify, the weather is okay but im not using covers so that’s different, I had to pee for a good 2 hours before I did anything about it. I guess I just got the creeps and it’ll take some time to get used to.

So the bathroom….wow, my thighs seriously are going to be beast when I come back. Yep, all squatting. Outside. Only flashlights. Flush with a bucket of water. Not even sure where to fill the bucket up. Definitely some bugs in there. Everyone can hear you. Can’t go during sleep time so I get a nice little bucket to pee in during the night. (which I am very grateful for because I admit I don’t really want to go out there by myself at night nor do I want to wake someone up)

Things I’m most worried about:
--language. I can already feel myself getting frustrated by the fact that I don’t know what anyone is saying most of the time. And Francis is the only I’ve met thus far that speaks English really well.
--house mom. I’m just going to need a lot of boldness. And a lot of patience. And prayer that she has favor on me! And that we can figure out how to communicate!
--sleeping. I know it will get better. I just hope the sooner the better.

Things I’m most excited about:
--the children! I just think its gonna be good. Hard. Really hard remembering their names! But really good!
--life really is going to be much more quite and simple. Exactly what I’ve been praying for!
--I really and truly am going to have to depend on the Lord as my best friend. ALL the time. This, too, is what I’ve been praying for. Man, God is faithful….even when you don’t really want him to be…=)

One thing that has been really cool was as soon as we starting driving away from the airport, all of my senses were brought back to my time in Papua New Guinea. The smells, the sights, the life-style. I was having flashbacks like crazy. I only wish I had my PNG friends with me! (Lik LIk bel toko!)
There have been many moments thus far that I have been so thankful for that experience/preparation in PNG. I really do think it is and will help me for my time here.


---next day---
The next day was better. Talked to Francis about what things will look like and all. Was awakened by the kids singing praise songs to the King. It was beautiful. Oh and my house mom wakes up at 3 am to pray and sing because “that is when Jesus prayed a lot and its so quiet. It’s the best time.”
Got my room all set up nicely. Got to know the kids a tad bit more.

A chicken greeted me when I opened my bedroom door in the morning. Its like a pet, just walks around the house.

Honestly, I don’t think im going to be able to write on here much. So I’m sorry this is so long but this will probably have to last you a while. We tried to get the internet last night for an hour when I finally got to gmail and it stopped. So don’t expect much internet communication from me at this point. =( Its got its pros and cons, ya know. But I do hope I get a little better access then thus far.

--3rd day----
I went on a tour of the place today. It is beautiful. Again, reminded of PNG. The internet is awful though. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to put pictures and all of that up. Who knows how much I’ll be on here….i dont think ill be able to put up pics or anything ever which stinks real bad because i simply can not explain things to you in words. the closest thing i can see is if you remember my pics from PNG, that is very similar. it really is so beautiful here though. wonderful weather. nice and quiet and peaceful.

5 comments:

Emily Jewell said...

Juliette! Great update! I'm so excited to read this over the coming months. You're an inspiration to all of us to follow our hearts and dreams. I love you and I'm praying for you.

Jan B-Breaux said...

3rd attempt at leaving a comment

Jan B-Breaux said...

YEAH! it worked. I've been checking Jewels. I miss you and praying for you.

Breaux Masonry said...

Juliette, we are so excited of your news. Thanks for the emails. Bee is reading them now. Always ask about your news. Sounds like an experience of a lifetime. Take care, be careful. We miss and love you very much.

Meg said...

hooray! you're there and safe! I love you sweet Friend and am praying for you in this exciting journey.