Friday, September 11, 2009

Some Stories

Some stories

Children Observations

I know I can’t understand the language and I haven’t been here very
long but the children really don’t seem to complain very much. Sure
they don’t’ always do their chores cheerfully or do them right, but I
haven’t seen much disrespect or disobedience from the kids. And they
work so hard! Half their day or more is chores, garden, school, and
things like that. It is good—it is just SO different than America! I
mean these kids really know how to work.

The children are not perfect of course. Though they are very different
than American kids and are very hard workers, mama does still have to
get on them for not doing a chore right. They have to repeat the
chores if they don’t do it right. And the other day Mama was talking
sternly to them because they wouldn’t share the food with Bridget!
(mama’s biological daughter who is 15)

I am simply amazed by how they get up every morning to praise the Lord
and pray and then jump into chores! That’s how they wake up! No
sitting around and watching T.V. or video games or lounging. Then they
either go to school or go to the garden or maybe play.

Mama Jane was gone for Bible study Monday night and had to go to town
all day on Tuesday. So the kids just take care of themselves. Peter,
the oldest boy (13), takes charge. It is just so strange for me to see
all these kids doing taking care of themselves. (And it is extremely
hard for me to not take charge. But I do not know anything that is
going on so I can’t discipline them if I wanted to and I don’t even
know if I would know what to discipline them for. And they really have
got it under control so….) Things get a little more crazy when mama is
gone. A little less organized. A little louder. More screaming—though
I’m not sure what they are screaming about. Its real interesting
though.

Story #1

Carol took my plates from me one night (which of course still had
plenty of food in it because I can not eat like them). I was watching
her so thought I can learn what to do with dirty dishes and such (once
they start letting me.) I saw her put one plate down, lean over, and
try to sneakily eat my left overs. Derek was watching her and he
glanced up at me as if he was on the “look out” for her. I tried to
act like I hadn’t seen. I felt bad that I didn’t eat all my food of
course I wanted someone to eat it but I didn’t know how to offer it
up.
Since then, I’ve asked mamma about it and told her I want the kids to
eat my left overs. She said she would give it to the little ones. The
“little ones” are 4-5 yrs old and they already eat a HUGE mountain of
good. I’m talking potatoes, rice, beans, cooked bananas. It is crazy
to me how these little beings can do that. It is also interesting how
Mama jane serves me first, then the 2 little ones and herself. Then we
can start eating while a couple of the older kids serve the other 10
kids….

Challenge

I love sitting in my room and just listening to the noises and voices
all around me. I love hearing Mama Jane pray from 3am-whenever. It is
the one time I am okay with not knowing Luganda. If it was Enlgish I
would be drawn to the words and unable to sleep. But just knowing that
she is praying for all of us in the house and singing praises to our
king is so wonderful. It helps to calm my nightly fears a bit! Bridget
(her biological 15 yr old daughter) also joined her to do this when
she was here. Isn’t that amazing? She says her soul cannot make it
through the day if she does not do this. Isn’t that so beautiful? Oh
how I long for the discipline and extreme love and dependence on my
savior to do things like that!

Story #2

I was playing with the kids in the field the other day and I saw Irine
pick some things up off a mound of dirt/ant hill and put them in her
mouth. It made my stomach queezy. I asked them what it was and Sharif
patted the mound and said, “Irine likes to eat this.” I was so
confused. I think it might have been a fruit of something that I am
unaware of. Or something that was not dirt…but it still made me
stomach feel weird for a while….

3 comments:

Jan B-Breaux said...

Love the stories. I think about you trying to sleep at night and can imagine you laying there listening the sounds. Do you hate the night? Maybe the kids eat so much and are always hungry b/c they work so hard. I hope they let the girl eat your food. Are you checking email at all? Hopefully you will call me Saturday! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Precious Blueberry, you mentioned the little girl eating dirt. This is called "pica". I'm somewhat familiar with it from my food and nutrition studies. Pica refers to the compulsive ingestion of unsuitable substances having little or no nutritional value. It often involves consumption of dirt or clay (geophagia) or starch, as in laundry starch. Other non-food substances consumed include a wide variety of bizarre things (later if you're interested). The practice of pica is not limited to any one geographic area, race, sex, culture, or social status, or pregnancy. Medical consequences of pica is malnutrition, these non-food substances (nfs) displace essential nutrients in the diet, some are toxic, some lead to intestinal obstructions. The etiology of pica is poorly understood. One theory suggests that the ingestion relieves nausea and vomiting. Another hypothesis is that a deficiency of an essential nutrient such as calcium or iron results in the NFS that contain these nutrients. Much of this behavior appears to be based on superstitions, customs, and traditions often passed on from mother to daughter.
This is probably more than you could have dreamed of by commenting on the little girl eating dirt- but I found this to be utterly fascinating in my early study of nutrition. You probably have run across it in your sociology studies.

Thank you, mucho gracious, bon, and much more for the outstanding book of photographs for made of my Natalie. You are too much! I love you. Aunt Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Juliette, I am loving your adventures in Uganda. My son, Aaron, is in your Mom's class this year and Aaron told me you were in Uganda. We have special friends that are at Humble School in Kampala - both teachers and students. I would love to visit Uganda soon.

We are fellow missionaries and I know how much I love to get news from home when I am away and to know that people are reading my blogs. So I just wanted to say Hi and let you know that what you are doing is wonderful. I am enjoying meeting the kids, and of course Mama, through your writings and I will look forward to your next story.

Be Safe and know that someone in Round Rock (in addition to your mother) is praying for you and all the good you are doing for the chidlren and people of Uganda.

Peace and Blessings,
Diane Bouchard
drops of grace - Founder
www.dropsofgrace.org